Friday, October 16, 2009

Religion ≠ Ignorance

For the longest time, I really wasn't into religion. I felt it had a lot of things wrong with it. I was under the impression that it bred ignorance, hindered education and much more. My feelings were also well reinforced, through the general public. But, young and ignorant... what does my opinion mean? Nothing.

This plunged me into an ebullient study of religions, and their effect on people.


Disclaimer:
I'm not putting down religions with my statements; I’m just pointing out the ignorant, intolerant people that hide behind their religion to justify their actions. I am also not speaking for everyone, nor do I intend to offend anyone.


Thoughts:
In my studies I have come to my own conclusions regarding people and the misunderstanding/misuse of their religion. For example, the inflated egos' of the fundamentalists really paint a bad picture for those undecided on religion. Me and a friend were discussing how a serial killer in prison can "find god" and be "born again", and all is forgiven. Yet some "Christians" look down upon atheists, agnostics, or people of another faith, who are potentially incredibly good-hearted people. The same applies to other religions looking down on Christianity as well. Even some atheists look down on people of faith.


My Personal Opinion:
I think that learning the bible from a devotional standpoint in church, is just as important as learning it from a historical standpoint in a classroom. If you blindly follow the bible, you will naturally feel the urge to defend it, close your mind, and take any information that you don't agree with, as a threat to the bible and your beliefs. But, if you take the information and analyze it, logically dissect it, and derive its meaning after referencing it with other materials, then you will see it from a different point of view. As Bart D. Ehrman says in his book "Jesus, Interrupted", the bible is a very human book. "In thinking about which parts of the bible have something to say in modern context, it is important to recall the historical view that the biblical authors were all living in a different world from ours and reflected the assumptions and beliefs of people in their world." ("Jesus, Interrupted", 280). This is extremely relevant, because I believe the bible is to be taken with a grain of salt. From what you have read so far, it may seem like I’m really laying into the bible, and dismissing it as an inaccurate account of events, but there are many things that I do like about the bible. For one, the Ten Commandments are an excellent account of the basic morals to follow in life. Also, many of the stories of the Old Testament are an excellent resource to teach children basic morals that will greatly help them to develop into a well rounded, respectable adult. The problem lies with the people that will not open their mind, and come to new conclusions once they are old enough to start formulating their own ideas and have the capacity to intelligently contribute to pressing matters.


Islam:
I can’t say I am heavily educated on the subject of Islam, but there is something I have learned in my studies that I believe a lot of people should know. Since the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers by the Islamist group Al-Qaeda, there has been a massive uprising of intolerance and acts of hate towards American Muslims. All the hate is misguided to the general Muslim population, but in truth, what people should be oppressing is “Islamism”. Islamism is the political system based on the Quran. This system is frequently taken to the extreme and turns hostile, causing (in Al-Qaeda’s case) a global Jihad (holy war) in an attempt to restore the “Caliphate” (the first form of Islamic Government). Personally, I think that the average Muslim is against an Islamic government, considering the seemingly inevitable militarization of the nation, which seems to go hand in hand with the political system (or the direction is has leaned towards in the past).


Conclusion:
I think we have a lot to learn from religion, and we should attack it from many different positions. If you are passionate about your belief, challenge it. Study it, attack its weaknesses, and accentuate its strengths. Get a thorough understanding of it, and understand that it’s not 100% accurate or correct. Cases in point, (Christianity) the original scriptures have been translated from Greek, to every other language over the years and there are an abundance of mistakes in translation and personal bias written into the bible. I fully and wholeheartedly recommend everyone to study their religion and open their mind to all views from people from all walks of life. Learning more about religion has really opened my mind, and it’s been an extremely enjoyable experience!

PLEASE COMMENT! TELL ME YOUR FEELINGS, AND BELIEFS!


I will continue studying, and have follow up posts to this one so keep checking back!

7 comments:

  1. I agree that people should be open minded about other religions and try to understand them. every religion has its flaws and strong points. you're a talented writer as well as a musician (: <333

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. I have nothing against anyone who is passionate about there own religion no matter what they believe in but i think people would be much better off if they were more open minded

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said to you in private, religion should be a background thing- people should have their own beliefs, leading their own life, but their beliefs in the unproven should not take precedence over what EVERYONE can agree on and believe in. : )

    And that's all. I am proud, Travis. : D

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're talking about religious people opening their minds to other religions, so why don't you open your's and try to get into one? like a serious relationship with god.. just go to church and keep your mind and heart wide open..

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mind is incredibly open to all religions, and I am studying as many religions as I can. I want to know as much as possible, and how much more open can I be? Establishing a serious relationship with God would be closing my mind exclusively on Christianity, and I don't want to do that with any religion. In your defense, I do understand where your coming from, with opening my mind and heart to God. Btw, thanks for reading and commenting, I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. While we're talking about religion, I have another two cents. Now, keep in mind, I'm talking generalizations here...

    As much shit as they get, and as wacky as what they believe in might seem to others, I love Mormons. I have never met a bad one. Other branches of Christianity look down on them, call them a cult, blasphemous, even annoying, but they're some of the nicest people I've met. That being said, a person of my stance, non-religious... If I was forced to play favorites of the Abrahamic religions, I'd pick Mormonism. The belief system might seem odd and controlling, but whatever they're doing, their following is made of kind-hearted individuals (in my experiences), and seeing as I don't necessarily believe in any deity anyways, I judge a group by its people, not how plausible its belief system might be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete